An estimated 45 million people wear contact lenses in the U.S., allowing them to correct their vision without interfering with sports or other activities or affecting how they feel about their appearance. But according to recent studies, around 25% of new contact lens wearers stop using them — and their primary reason for discontinuation is discomfort.
This high dropout rate negatively affects both patients and eye care practitioners. Patients miss out on an effective option for correcting their vision, and practitioners experience a loss of revenue that can impact their clinical practice’s financial success.
Symptoms & Causes of CLI & MGD
Contact Lens Intolerance (CLI) and Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD, or “dry eye disease”) are closely related and major sources of patient discomfort. Symptoms of MGD include eye and eyelid irritation, redness, infection, and inflammation.
When contact lens wear results in a patient’s CLI and MGD, the following likely occurs:
- Contact lenses cause the patient to blink more, with the inner surfaces of the eyelids increasing motion and contact over the contact lenses.
- This movement results in rubbing and irritation of the back lid surfaces, leading to excessive sloughing of the cells and inflammation, redness, and roughness of the lid margin and back surface.
- The sloughed cells can block Meibomian Gland openings, which can lead to the dropout or infection of MGs (which releases bacterial toxins), and exacerbated inflammation and gland blockage.
Preventing & Treating CLI & MGD
VibrantVue® Lid & Lash Cleanser is a first-line product for preventing and treating both CLI and MGD. Lid & Lash is an FDA-approved, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory clarifying treatment that neutralizes inflammatory toxins released in eyelids and relieves symptoms of red, itchy eyelids, blocked Meibomian Glands, crusty eyelashes, irritated eyes, and other contact lens complications. Lid & Lash provides patients with an easy-to-use, everyday cleanser that prevents and treats contact lens discomfort or dry eye, and makes wearing contact lenses a sustainable option.
Benefits of Lid & Lash Cleanser
Lid & Lash helps address the contact lens dropout rate and decrease the problems associated with it for patients and practitioners:
- While scleral lenses have far fewer negative effects than corneal GPs and soft lenses, all contact lens wearers will benefit from Lid & Lash care as a preventative measure and as a fast-acting treatment as symptoms begin. Lid & Lash can help prevent, treat, and maintain clear, healthy eyes.
- Allergies are a common problem for contact lens wearers, as contacts can trap pollen against the eye and create a protein build-up on the surface, clouding vision and worsening allergy symptoms. Hypochlorous acid (HOCl) — the primary ingredient in Lid & Lash — blocks five different inflammatory pathways, including histamine, so it has “antihistamine” properties. HOCl relieves itching, redness, and irritation with a soothing, cooling effect.
- Lid & Lash is a long-lasting, high-strength, budget-friendly product for practices:
- It contains a far stronger concentration of HOCl (between 20% – 140%) than other competitor products
- It’s more cost-effective to patients (16% – 100% less for a 1-month supply, compared to competitors)
- A larger, 3-month supply is available (which has a 24-month shelf life)
Lid & Lash is an effective way for practitioners to relieve painful CLI and MGD symptoms. By increasing patient comfort, satisfaction, and retention, eye care practitioners can strengthen their relationships with patients and improve their overall experience over time.
Learn more about the advantages of using VibrantVue® Lid & Lash Cleanser in your practice.